The role of the NSW Advocate for Children and Young People is to influence and initiate positive change by:
- making recommendations to Parliament, and government and non-government agencies on legislation, policies, practices and services that affect children and young people
- promoting children and young people’s participation in activities and decision-making about issues that affect their lives
- conducting research into children’s issues and monitoring children’s well-being
- holding inquiries into important issues relating to children and young people
- providing information to help children and young people.